List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 of 50
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
HBCo. Blacksmith Shop
Structure Number:
016
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Fort Vancouver National Historic Site
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Vancouver National Historic Reserve
Structure State:
Washington
Structure County:
Clark
Region:
Pacific West
Cluster:
Columbia Cascades
Administrative Unit:
Fort Vancouver National Historic Site
LCS ID:
030081
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Ineligible - Managed as Resource
National Register Date:
01/05/2007
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Not Significant
Short Significance Description:
The reconstructed Fort Vancouver structures were determined to be non-contributing to the historic district, but compatible. The Historic District’s “Hudson’s Bay Company Fort Vancouver Era” is nationally significant under Criteria A and D; period of significance 1824-1860.
Long Significance Description:
The Vancouver National Historic Reserve Historic District is a complex landscape that reflects continuous layers of construction and removal by various inhabitants of the area over time, from the Native Americans, to the Hudson’s Bay Company, the U.S. Army, and the National Park Service. The result is a rich tapestry of buildings, structures, vegetation, circulation, land uses and archeological sites that have overlapped over the course of several historic eras and are physically interwoven within the Historic District boundaries.

The nomination for the Vancouver National Historic Reserve Historic District combines the efforts of past listings, determinations of eligibility, and consensus determinations, along with additional contributing U.S. Army buildings and NPS development not included in previous nominations. The nomination created a comprehensive Historic District that includes all significant events that have occurred within the area during the period of significance and provided a holistic picture of the site’s development. The Historic District encompasses the core historic area where archeological excavations have revealed information about significant resources and also where the majority of historic buildings still exist.

The period of significance for the Historic District is 500 BC-1966 AD. This period of significance can be broken down into four eras: 1) the Pre-historic/Contact Native American Era (500 BC-1824 AD); 2) the Hudson’s Bay Company Fort Vancouver Era (1824-1860); 3) the U.S. Army Vancouver Barracks Era (1849-1946); and 4) the National Park Service Mission 66 Era (1954-1966). Collectively, these four eras qualify the Historic District for national significance under Criteria A, C, D, and meet Special Criteria Consideration G for properties less than fifty years old (Mission 66 development). It is significant under these Criteria for its association with agriculture, architecture, archeology (prehistoric, historic-aboriginal, and historic-non-aboriginal), commerce, education, exploration/settlement, industry, military, politics/government, and transportation (aviation).
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Reconstructed
1981
AD


Koue, A. Louis
Architect
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Manufacturing Facility (Mill)
Primary Current Use:
Manufacturing Facility (Mill)
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Exhibit
Current
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
1204
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Roof
Wood
2. 
Walls
Wood
3. 
Foundation
Concrete
Short Physical Description:
1 story reconstructed sawn timber tenon and groove Hudson's Bay Company Blacksmith Shop with earth floor and board-on-board roof. Built on the site of the original shop, the exterior walls of this structure are mostly conjectural as no difinitive building drawing or photographs have been found.
Long Physical Description:
(Originally built 1836-1841/ reconstructed in 1981.) The Blacksmith Shop is located in the southeast corner of the compound. This is a rectangular, one-story, post-on-sill building. The exterior walls are constructed of chinked, horizontal, infill timbers placed between vertical posts at the 1st story and board and batten wood siding above on the gable ends. The gable roof is covered with boards, has exposed rafters, and has two brick forges and chimneys. Primary fenestration is 6/6 double-hung wood windows. The west elevation has paired wood plank doors and a single wood plank door. A single wood plank door is also located at the east elevation.