List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  210 211 212 213 214
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
KMC Paved Roads and Parking
Structure Number:
various
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Kilauea Military Camp Historic District
Structure State:
Hawaii
Structure County:
Hawaii
Region:
Pacific West
Cluster:
Pacific Islands
Administrative Unit:
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
LCS ID:
962629
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
10/03/2012
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
State
Short Significance Description:
KMC was determined eligible for the NR as a district at the state level under criterion A, and at the local level under criterion C, by the HI SHPO 10/03/2012. The period of significance is 1916 – 1947.
Long Significance Description:
KMC is significant at a state level under Criterion A as a result of its association with the development of a recreation camp for military personnel on the Island of Hawaii. KMC represents some of the earliest military development in the Hawaiian Islands with the initial construction of the camp occurring just eleven years after the first Army construction began in the state at Fort Shafter on the island of Oahu. Through the remaining buildings, structures and landscape features, KMC serves as an intact example of early military construction in Hawaii, embodying several periods of military history extending from 1916 to the present day.

KMC is also significant at a local level under Criterion C for its Plantation-style architecture, as well as the overall site development of the camp blends military and NPS rustic and naturalistic elements into the design, and defines KMC from the typical NPS developed areas within the park. KMC has evolved over the course of several decades following the development of the first three buildings in 1916. Construction was nearly continuous with development of the front cabins and those of the Navy camp in the early to mid-1920s, lava rock cottages and a barracks building built in the 1930s, and additional wood cottages, barracks and other structures built in the 1940s and early 1950s. As new buildings were erected, renovations were also undertaken on existing buildings and the grounds were improved as funds became available. Though not a “planned development” as such, the end result was a cohesive blend of the older with the modern, which allowed the historical development of the property to remain evident on the landscape.



Cultural Landscape Inventory, Kilauea Military Camp, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, 2012

DOE, Hawaii SHPO, 10/03/2012
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
No records.
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Road-Related
Primary Current Use:
Road-Related
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Parking Area
Current
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Asphalt
2. 
Superstructure
Earth
Short Physical Description:
All the 10 paved roads contribute to the historic district. The road alignments are both linear & curvilinear.

There are 8 parking areas within KMC. Half are paved with asphalt, the others surfaced w/ gravel. Only the 4 paved with asphalt contribute to the historic district.
Long Physical Description:
Roads R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, R-5, R-6, R-7, R-8, R-9 and R-10.
(See Long Mgmt. Text below for road descriptions.)

All of the paved roads contribute to the historic district. All roads appear in alignment and width as they did at the end of the period of significance. The road alignments are both linear and curvilinear, and in general, the roads constructed later in the period of significance are all curvilinear. Originally, the roads were unpaved and lined with mortared-lava-stone curbs, providing highly articulated systems of movement. The curbing has been replaced in segments over time with concrete curbs. The concrete curbs are non-historic, and non-compatible with the historic design of the road system.

There are eight parking areas within KMC. Half of the parking areas are paved with asphalt, and the other half are surfaced with gravel. According to a 1953 site plan, during the period of significance, only the paved parking areas were designated as a parking area. The other current locations of unpaved parking areas were originally part of the landscaped grounds, and parking was accommodated on the sides of the streets. For this reason, only the paved parking areas contributes to the historic district.
Contributing Parking Areas

There are four paved asphalt parking areas that contribute to the historic district. This includes the parking to the south of the theater, which is square in shape with a median in the center that is landscaped with manicured lawn. There are no curbs along the edge of the median or the parking stalls. Currently, a volleyball net is set up in the median. Additionally the parking area to the south of Building 36, and the parking area around Building 34 were designated parking locations during the period of significance.