List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 of 170
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Utility Area HD McLaren Hall Annex
Structure Number:
HS-0024
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Rocky Mountain National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Rocky Mountain National Park Utility Area
Structure State:
Colorado
Structure County:
Larimer
Region:
Intermountain
Cluster:
Rocky Mountain
Administrative Unit:
Rocky Mountain National Park
LCS ID:
010541
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
03/18/1982
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Significant under criterion C for its representation of NPS rustic architecture (1923-1966).
Long Significance Description:
Rocky Mountain National Park Utility Area Historic District is significant for its rustic design. The park began construction of their utility area in 1923, eight years after the establishment of the park. Work continued in the 1930's with the Civilian Conservation Corps. Later additions respected the overall scale and character of the Utility Area. Retaining its integrity, Rocky Mountain National Park's Utility Area is one of the best preserved utility areas in a western park.

Stephen Mather and Horace Albright advocated rustic design within the National Park Service as early as 1918 believing that buildings should blend with their natural surroundings. During the 1930's, the Landscape Engineering Division designed buildings for Rocky Mountain National Park and all other parks in the system. These buildings, therefore, reflected a strong landscape aesthetic. With hewn log framing, wood shingle roofs, and dark-stained siding, the Utility Area Historic District exemplifies this design philosophy.

McLaren Hall and Twin Owls Ranger Station (#0002) are the two oldest NPS built structures in Rocky Mountain National Park. Both exhibit rustic design details. McLaren Hall was originally two separate structures: a bunk house and a mess hall. The two were connected in 1938 by a lounge and guest quarters. W.G. Hill, working under Howard W. Baker (Region II, Landscape Architect) designed the 1938 addition. He carefully blended the new with the old, while maintaining the rustic details.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1920
AD
1929
AD


2. 
Altered
1938
AD


Hill, W.G.
Landscape Architect
3. 
Stabilized
1987
AD


NPS

4. 
Rehabilitated
1998
AD
1999
AD
NPS

 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Multi-Use Building
Primary Current Use:
Multi-Use Building
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Library
Current
2. 
Dormitory (Bunkhouse)
Historic
3. 
Interpretation Facility
Current
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
20,000 - 2,000,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
5200
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Framing
Log
2. 
Walls
Weatherboard
3. 
Roof
Shingle
4. 
Foundation
Concrete
Short Physical Description:
One-story (with partial basement) frame building with T-shaped plan and intersecting gable roof clad in wood shingles. Reverse board and batten is attached to the inside of the frame. The middle gable serves as the main entry.
Long Physical Description:
The one-story (with partial basement), frame structure is T-shaped in plan. The intersecting gable roof is covered in wood shingles that double every fifth course. Rustic details--such as exposed rafter tips--characterize the exterior. Like other buildings in the RMNP Utility Area HD, the building has reverse board and batten siding with diagonal log frame stained dark brown, exposed rafter tips and purlin ends, and a concrete foundation. Divided light wood windows are painted light green. Modern concrete ramps provide accessible entry.