List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 of 136
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Devil's Kitchen Picnic Shelter
Structure Number:
B48
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Colorado National Monument
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Colorado
Structure County:
Mesa
Region:
Intermountain
Cluster:
Colorado Plateau
Administrative Unit:
Colorado National Monument
LCS ID:
022605
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
04/21/1994
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Devils Kitchen Picnic Shelter has local significance under Criterion A for its association with the CCC and the WPA. It also has significance under Criterion C as a good example of NPS Rustic Architecture. Period of significance is 1941-1944.
Long Significance Description:
Devils Kitchen Picnic Shelter has local significance under Criterion A for its association with the CCC and the WPA. It also has significance under Criterion C as a good example of NPS Rustic Architecture. The materials and architectural design of this resource reflect the philosophy of incorporating natural landscape elements into planning and design. As the design of the buildings and layout of the area clearly responded to the surrounding landscape, it is significant in the area of landscape architecture. As a NPS facility used to manage conservation of the monument and maintain it for visitor use and enjoyment, the building is also significant in the areas of conservation and recreation. The period of significance for the picnic shelter dates from its date of construction in 1941-1944.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Designed
1940
AD
1940
AD
Cornell, Harvey H.
Landscape Architect
2. 
Designed
1940
AD
1940
AD
Saunders, Kenneth M.
Architect
3. 
Designed
1940
AD
1941
AD
NPS Branch of Plans and Design
Architect
4. 
Designed
1941
AD
1941
AD
Miller, Jerome C.
Architect
5. 
Built
1941
AD
1941
AD
PWA
Other
6. 
Built
1941
AD
1941
AD
CCC
Other
7. 
Rehabilitated
1960
AD
1961
AD
NPS
Other
8. 
Rehabilitated
1991
AD
1992
AD
NPS
Other
9. 
Altered
2005
AD
2007
AD
NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Picnic Shelter
Primary Current Use:
Picnic Shelter
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
1800
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Framing
Wood
2. 
Roof
Shake
3. 
Foundation
Concrete
4. 
Walls
Stone
Short Physical Description:
One-story irregular shaped building with 2 wings protruding from central open section. The building has three distinct sections each with its own brick fireplace. Walls and fireplaces of native red sandstone.
Long Physical Description:
This one-story, irregular shaped building was built on a concrete foundation. Two wings protrude from a central open section, the north having four bays, the south having two. The wings are angled toward the front forming an activity area. A pair of 6" x 8" wood posts separate each bay. Each of the three sections has a firebrick-lined fireplace with a charcoal grill. A stone seat flanks either side of the center fireplace. Walls and fireplaces are constructed of native red sandstone laid in random ashlar pattern. The center section has both a men's and a women's restroom located at the rear, each accessible from the outside by a wood door. Restrooms have metal stalls with ceramic tile around the lavatory. The rest of the restroom walls and ceilings are plastered. There are three janitor's closets, one located behind each restroom, as well as one next to the center fireplace. The rear elevation of the north section has three rectangular roughcut 6' x 14' openings and one double 4-light metal casement window; the same elevation of the center section has two double 4-light metal casement windows. The interior floor of the shelter is concrete.

The ceiling has exposed rafters. The roof of the central section is hipped and is elevated above the gabled roofs of the flanking wings. The low-pitched roof, constructed of 4" x 6" beams, 2" x 6" rafters, and 1" roof boards, is covered with cedar shakes, and has exposed rafter ends.

Extensive rehab work was done in 1961. The building was reroofed with had split cedar shakes (as original). The lower half, rear elevation of the south wing was veneered in concrete to prevent moisture penetration and frost upheaval of the floor slab. The woodwork and sandstone were cleaned of smoke and soot. New colored 4" concrete slab floors were installed in remodeled restrooms, along with new doors and hardware; new frosted glass was installed in metal sash windows (as original). Beneath the shelter the original flagstone flooring was removed and replaced with 4" colored concrete slab. Support colums were faced with 3/4" lumber. A new gravel 4' walk was added along the rear (east and south) sides of the building, and a 4" poured concrete platform was installed at the rear of the center section.

While some historic fabric was lost during the 1961 rehab, these alterations do not significantly affect the architectural integrity of the building.