List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 of 530
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Tuolumne Meadows Gas Station
Structure Number:
tbd
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Yosemite National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Tuolumne Meadows Historic District
Structure State:
California
Structure County:
Tuolumne
Region:
Pacific West
Cluster:
Pacific Great Basin
Administrative Unit:
Yosemite National Park
LCS ID:
587637
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
09/27/2007
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
The Tuolumne Meadows Historic District is considered significant under criteria A and C, for the period of significance of 1885-1961.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1959
CE




 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Concession
Primary Current Use:
Concession
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
School
Current
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
1550
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Foundation
Concrete
2. 
Framing
Wood
3. 
Walls
Wood
4. 
Roof
Shake
Short Physical Description:
30 by 51 foot structure that houses a gas station, mountaineering school and sports shop.
Long Physical Description:
This 1959 structure was the third gas station to have been built in the Tuolumne Meadows area. The first gas station was located near the Administrative Area (Ranger Camp) along the old Great Sierra Wagon Road. The second gas station was located next to the current Tuolumne Meadows store. Both of these stations were razed. The current gas station is located along the Tioga Road west of the store. It measures 30 by 51 feet. The forward facing gabled roof has a hipped flange that extends out at a gentle slope from the lower portion of the roof. There are eight large windows along the northern façade that are used primarily as display cases for mountaineering equipment. The building sits on a concrete slab foundation. It is sheathed with board and batten siding painted light brown. There are separate men’s and women’s restrooms accessed from the eastern side of the structure. There are six gas pumps in front of the station.

Originally, this building was a full-service gas station with a garage occupying what is now the Sports Shop and Mountaineering School. The Mountaineering School, which is operated by DNC, was forced to relocate to this building from the Road Crew Camp mess hall in 1979 when the mess hall was remodeled into the current visitor center. Inside the building, vestiges of the original garage can still be seen, including a below-grade car jack and the original merchandise display shelves. The gas station is owned by Chevron, but leased and operated by DNC.