List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 of 219
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Ash Mountain Residence #14
Structure Number:
AM14
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Ash Mountain Historic District
Structure State:
California
Structure County:
Tulare
Region:
Pacific West
Cluster:
Pacific Great Basin
Administrative Unit:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
LCS ID:
057664
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
12/30/2010
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
The Ash Mountain Historic District was determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places by the CA SHPO at a local level of significance for criteria A and C; period of significance 1924 -1967.
Long Significance Description:
The Ash Mountain Historic District is significant within Tulare County under Criterion A for its association with National Park Service master planning, New Deal relief programs and Mission 66. It is also significant within Tulare County under Criterion C for its assemblage of buildings exemplifying both park rustic and modern styles of architecture. The period of significance for the Ash Mountain Historic District extends from 1924 to 1967 which encompasses the period from the construction of the oldest extant building at Ash Mountain (Residence #5) to the end of Mission 66 era construction at Ash Mountain in 1967. This latter year signaled the end of development of the administrative area at Ash Mountain. Notably, this period includes the two intensive periods of development that defined the historic character of the area: the New Deal and Mission 66. The Ash Mountain Historic District contains buildings, roads, walkways, steps, retaining walls, and other features constructed between the years of 1924 to 1967, which create a cohesive assemblage portraying NPS master planning that occurred from the 1920s to the 1960s, a period that incorporated developments from the New Deal and the post-World War II Mission 66 era.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1929
CE


NPS
Other
2. 
Altered
1934
CE


NPS
Other
3. 
Rehabilitated
1954
CE


NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Single Family Dwelling
Primary Current Use:
Single Family Dwelling
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
1070
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Framing
Wood
2. 
Roof
Shingle
3. 
Walls
Stucco
4. 
Foundation
Concrete
Short Physical Description:
1-story, 24'x36', frame building. Exterior is finished w. stucco. Gable roof is covered w/ asphalt shingles and exposed brackets. Rests on concrete foundation. Entrance through small recessed corner porch w/ wood posts & railings.
Long Physical Description:
The Ash Mountain research office was built in 1929 at a cost of $2,750. It was originally constructed as quarters for the park personnel and remains in this capacity today, although it is currently vacant. The building has a gabled roof and its exterior measures roughly 24x36 feet.

This residence is a one-story timber framed structure with a stucco exterior finish. It has a concrete foundation with concrete porch in front and a concrete stoop in the rear. The front porch has concrete steps and floor with heavy timber posts and a wood railing. The building has a double gabled roof with asphalt composite roofing and 4x6 inch outriggers at the edge of the roofline and under the gable crown and exposed 2x4 inch raftertails throughout. The roof has louvered vent boxes at the gable ends. The building retains most of its original one-over-one double-hung windows, although an aluminum sliding windows has been added. There is an exterior stucco chimney attached to the front eastern façade. A large water heater cabinet was recently attached to the southern façade.