List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 of 219
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Ash Mountain Residence #104
Structure Number:
AM104
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Ash Mountain Historic District
Structure State:
California
Structure County:
Tulare
Region:
Pacific West
Cluster:
Pacific Great Basin
Administrative Unit:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
LCS ID:
057584
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
12/30/2010
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
The Ash Mountain Historic District was determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places by the CA SHPO at a local level of significance for criteria A and C; period of significance 1924 -1967.
Long Significance Description:
The Ash Mountain Historic District is significant within Tulare County under Criterion A for its association with National Park Service master planning, New Deal relief programs and Mission 66. It is also significant within Tulare County under Criterion C for its assemblage of buildings exemplifying both park rustic and modern styles of architecture. The period of significance for the Ash Mountain Historic District extends from 1924 to 1967 which encompasses the period from the construction of the oldest extant building at Ash Mountain (Residence #5) to the end of Mission 66 era construction at Ash Mountain in 1967. This latter year signaled the end of development of the administrative area at Ash Mountain. Notably, this period includes the two intensive periods of development that defined the historic character of the area: the New Deal and Mission 66. The Ash Mountain Historic District contains buildings, roads, walkways, steps, retaining walls, and other features constructed between the years of 1924 to 1967, which create a cohesive assemblage portraying NPS master planning that occurred from the 1920s to the 1960s, a period that incorporated developments from the New Deal and the post-World War II Mission 66 era.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1941



NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Single Family Dwelling
Primary Current Use:
Single Family Dwelling
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
1372
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Foundation
Concrete
2. 
Walls
Stucco
3. 
Roof
Shingle
4. 
Framing
Wood
Short Physical Description:
1-story, 22'x37', sided with stucco. Rests on concrete & posts foundation. Gable roof is finished with asphalt shingles. Open porch at SW corner. Kitchen extends beyond the rectangular plan of the house.
Long Physical Description:
This Ash Mountain residence was built by the CCC in 1941 at a cost of $3,579. It was originally constructed as quarters for park personnel and remains in this capacity today. This building was built the same year as residences # 95, #96, and #97 and they share similar floor plans. This building differs from the other three buildings with a basement floor that adds an additional 215 square feet. The building is rectangular in plan with a gable roof and its exterior measures roughly 22x37 feet.

This building is a one and one-half story timber framed structure with a stucco exterior finish. It has a concrete foundation and a covered, recessed, concrete porch on its northwest corner and a concrete stoop on its east facade. There is a small storage closet (which appears to be original) that is built into the backside of the concrete stoop. The building has asphalt composite roofing and 6x6 inch outriggers at the edge of the roofline and under the gable crown with 2x6 inch rafters concealed behind 2x6 inch fascia board. The building retains its original brick chimney. The building has louvered vent boxes at the gable ends. The building retains most of its original one-over-one double-hung windows, although aluminum sliding windows has been added along the east entry. The stucco exterior of the building is painted tan with brown trim.