List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 of 136
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Rangers’ Dormitory, HQ
Structure Number:
00021
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
1. 
Administration Building, HQ
2. 
Mt. Mckinley NP Headquarters Historic District
3. 
Mt. Mckinley Hqtrs, Ranger's Dormitory
Park:
Denali National Park and Preserve
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Mt. Mckinley NP Headquarters Historic District
Structure State:
Alaska
Structure County:
Denali
Region:
Alaska
Administrative Unit:
Denali National Park and Preserve
LCS ID:
005235
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
10/23/1987
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
State
Short Significance Description:
Contributing feature to the Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District, which has state significance under NR Criteria A & C. Areas of Significance: Conservation, Recreation, Architecture. Period of Significance: 1926-1941.
Long Significance Description:
Rangers’ Dormitory is a contributing feature to the Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District which is eligible for the National Register at the State level, under criterion A as physical representative of NPS and CCC involvement with conservation and recreation movements in Alaska and the development of the park and under criterion C as representative of NPS Rustic style architecture. Period of significance 1926-1941. The National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper on October 23, 1987. SHPO concurrence for the Park Headquarters Historic District Cultural Landscape Inventory was received on September 21, 2004.

The Headquarters District achieves historical significance under Criterion A because of its strong association with the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps, who contributed to the conservation and recreation movements in Alaska, and within the local area (Historical themes on conservation and recreation). Under Criterion C, the design, construction materials, and siting of buildings in the Headquarters District represent an early example of the NPS philosophy of rustic style architecture during its zenith and last period of expression, 1916-1940 (architecture). The character of the Headquarters District, as well as its physical appearance, shows minimal alteration from the period of significance, 1926-1941. As a whole, the Headquarters Historic District retains the physical characteristics it possessed during its period of significance, and visually conveys its association with significant historical patterns.

In 1920, the newly created park received funding to hire staff and establish an administrative area. When the Alaska Railroad reached the park in 1922, park headquarters were moved from the community of Nenana to a location near the new railroad station within the park boundaries. In the fall of 1925, park headquarters were moved to its current location. By 1927, nine structures—including those moved from the original site—occupied the headquarters district.

Although national park visitation declined in the early 1930s due to the Great Depression, visitation to Mt. McKinley reached an all-time high of 1,073 in 1937. The increase in recreational use was reflected in increased development in the park. As the hub of park administrative and management, the headquarters area expanded according to detailed plans provided by the NPS Branch of Plans and Design. As in many of the national parks during the Depression, the CCC had an important role in the development of conservation and recreation-oriented projects within the park as a whole and headquarters district in particular. Beginning in 1938, CCC accomplished many projects within the park, but most of their efforts focused on the headquarters area where they constructed sewer and water lines, roads, and buildings.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1934
CE
1935
CE
NPS
Architect
2. 
Altered
1953
CE


NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Dormitory (Bunkhouse)
Primary Current Use:
Administrative Office (HDQS)
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Administrative Office (HDQS)
Current
2. 
Administrative Office (HDQS)
Historic
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Building
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
3468
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Walls
Log
2. 
Foundation
Concrete
3. 
Roof
Metal
4. 
Framing
Wood
Short Physical Description:
34'x 34' log with reinforced concrete basement & wood frame second story; gable roof w/ dormers; two shed roofed porches supported by 12" columns; plate glass windows except for historic 4 over 4 light windows in gable ends & west end of north side.