List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
CCC Revetment
Structure Number:
MG-10
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
1. 
Beaver Creek Gabion Wall
2. 
Basket Dam
Park:
Montezuma Castle National Monument
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Arizona
Structure County:
Yavapai
Region:
Intermountain
Cluster:
Southwest
Administrative Unit:
Montezuma Castle National Monument
LCS ID:
058589
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
07/13/1994
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Local
Short Significance Description:
Determined eligible by Arizona State Historic Preservation Office on July 13, 1994 due to National Register Criteria A and C. Constructed by the CCC to protect monument grounds and Sycamore Trail from the frequent flooding of Beaver Creek.
Long Significance Description:
The CCC revetment of Montezuma Castle National Monument was determined eligible for the National Register by Arizona State Historic Preservation Office at a local level, on July 13, 1994. This is due to National Register Criterion A for events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of history and Criterion C for distinctive characteristics of a type, period and method of construction.

This revetment was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps to protect monument grounds and Sycamore Trail from the frequent flooding of Beaver Creek. After the floods of 1938, the section of the revetment below the castle was increased in height. The high quality of construction is typical of the found in CCC work. The CCC constructed a significant number of structures and facilities in national, state and county parks. The CCC used the native materials so that the structure is compatible with the associated landscape.

According to the DOE dated July 13, 1994 states that this structure was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as part of an overall physical improvement project. Original drawing for this project does not indicate that this was a CCC project. Drawing for the 1941 alteration notes that it was a Civil Works Administration (CWA) project. Designed by NPS Branch of Plans and Design, January 26, 1934, ADC. Alteration designed by NPS Branch of Plans and Design, April 10, 1941, R.R. Maxwell. (2007)
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Designed
1934
AD
1934
AD
ADC
Architect
2. 
Designed
1934
AD
1934
AD
NPS Branch of Plans and Design
Architect
3. 
Built
1934
AD
1934
AD
ECW/CCC
Other
4. 
Designed
1941
AD
1941
AD
Maxwell, R. R.
Architect
5. 
Designed
1941
AD
1941
AD
NPS Branch of Plans and Design
Architect
6. 
Altered
1941
AD
1941
AD
CWA
Other
7. 
Altered
1980
AD
1980
AD
NPS
Other
8. 
Stabilized
2005
AD
2006
AD
NPS
Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Erosion Control
Primary Current Use:
Erosion Control
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Marine/Waterway
Volume:
2,000 - 20,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
4480
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Stone
Short Physical Description:
Revetment runs from the wall of the VC parking lot to the cliff face past the end of the interpretive trail. It is constructed of large, random-sized river rock which is covered and anchored by 6"x6" metal mesh and metal stakes. 3' wide at top, up to 10' high on river side, approx 3' on bank side.
Long Physical Description:
The revetment is constructed of large, random-sized river rock which is covered and anchored in place by 6"x6" metal mesh. Metal stakes are inserted vertically through the wall for added stabilization. The structure averages 3' wide at top, ranges from 4' to 10' high on the river side, and approximately 3' on the bank side.

The revetment extends over 1120' long, and runs from the retaining wall of the visitor center parking lot to the limestone cliff face past the end of the interpretive trail.