List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 of 1342
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Foundations and Cistern, mile 114.52
Structure Number:
114.52
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Park District:
CHOH Four Locks District
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maryland
Structure County:
Washington
Region:
National Capital
Administrative Unit:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
LCS ID:
049935
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
08/01/1995
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
C&O Canal is a flat water canal, chartered in 1825. Construction began in 1828. Foundations & Cistern @ Mile 114.52 contribute to the NR under Criteria A & C for its architecture, engineering, commerce, transportation, conservation & military history, period of significance (1828–1924).
Long Significance Description:
The C&O Canal is a flat water canal, chartered in 1825. Construction began in 1828 and by 1850 the canal was opened to its terminus at Cumberland, Maryland. The canal ceased operations in 1924 due to flood damage and the buying out of the company by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In 1938, the B&O Railroad sold the canal property to the US government for $2 million dollars. The entire 184.5 miles of the canal was recognized as a National Historic Monument in 1961, and then in 1971 became known as the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Under the 1966 National Historic Preservation Act, the Canal was added to the National Register of Historic Places, having historical significance merits under architecture, engineering, commerce, transportation, military history and conservation. A confirmation National Register was approved by the Keeper for the CHOH on August 9, 1979.

The purpose of the C&O Canal was to bring freight and produce from Cumberland, Maryland, to Georgetown. The canal is an excellent example of 19th c. canal building technology. The magnitude of the engineering achievement is exemplified by the 184.5 mile length of the canal, which includes 74 lift locks rising 605 feet. 11 stone aqueducts were constructed to carry the canal prism over large Potomac River tributaries and 241 historic culverts were built to carry smaller streams and roads under the canal. 7 supporting dams were also constructed. Among the noteworthy engineered works on the canal is the Paw Paw Tunnel, which was drilled through 3, 117 feet of bedrock.

The ruins, although they can not be identified, are representative of the development that occured along the canal. Many businesses or canal workers built structures along the canal.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
No records.
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
UNDETERMINED
Primary Current Use:
Ruin
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Grounds/Landscape
Volume:
1 - 2,000 cubic feet
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Substructure
Concrete
2. 
Substructure
Stone
Short Physical Description:
Located on the riverside of the towpath at Ernstville, these ruins consist of a rectangular foundation, cistern and square foundation. While the ruins' form, use and precise date are unknown, they may be related to the farmhouse located just across the canal here.
Long Physical Description:
There is also a farmed field just east of these foundations. There are concrete fence posts along the towpath, near the path to this field. The area of the ruins has daffodils, forsythia and periwinkle growing in profusion. The east side of this area is bordered by a creek and the square ruins sit atop the creek’s ravine.