List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 of 1342
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Mile 179-180, Canal Prism
Structure Number:
179.01
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Park District:
CHOH Paw Paw District
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maryland
Structure County:
Washington
Region:
National Capital
Administrative Unit:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
LCS ID:
045755
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
08/09/1979
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
C&O Canal is a flat water canal, chartered in 1825; Construction began in 1828. Mile 179-180, Canal Prism contributes to the National Register under Criteria A & C for its architecture, engineering, commerce, transportation, conservation & military history, period of significance (1828–1924).
Long Significance Description:
The C&O Canal is a flat water canal, chartered in 1825. Construction began in 1828 and by 1850 the canal was opened to its terminus at Cumberland, Maryland. The canal ceased operations in 1924 due to flood damage and the buying out of the company by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In 1938, the B&O Railroad sold the canal property to the US government for $2 million dollars. The entire 184.5 miles of the canal was recognized as a National Historic Monument in 1961, and then in 1971 became known as the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Under the 1966 National Historic Preservation Act, the Canal was added to the National Register of Historic Places, having historical significance merits under architecture, engineering, commerce, transportation, military history and conservation. A confirmation National Register was approved by the Keeper for the CHOH on August 9, 1979.

The purpose of the C&O Canal was to bring freight and produce from Cumberland, Maryland, to Georgetown. The canal is an excellent example of 19th c. canal building technology. The magnitude of the engineering achievement is exemplified by the 184.5 mile length of the canal, which includes 74 lift locks rising 605 feet. 11 stone aqueducts were constructed to carry the canal prism over large Potomac River tributaries and 241 historic culverts were built to carry smaller streams and roads under the canal. 7 supporting dams were also constructed. Among the noteworthy engineered works on the canal is the Paw Paw Tunnel, which was drilled through 3, 117 feet of bedrock.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
No records.
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Canal
Primary Current Use:
Ruin
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Marine/Waterway
Volume:
2,000,000 or more cubic feet
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Earth
2. 
Substructure
Stone
3. 
Substructure
Earth
4. 
Superstructure
Stone
Short Physical Description:
The prism is now somewhat silted in but still visible (5-6' deep). It is located on landside of towpath, now overgrown with grasses and a few trees. There is standing water in some places.
Long Physical Description:
The canal prisms, constructed between 1828 and 1850, were 50-60 feet wide, with a depth of 6° feet. The prisms were hand-dug or drilled earthen trenches with a towpath on the river side and a berm to natural bedrock on the other. The bed was lined with 18-24 inches of clay. In order to prevent the sides of the prism from collapsing it was necessary, along much of the canal, to build retaining walls. Primarily built on the berm side, these walls were often of dry-laid stone or even rip-rap. Some retaining walls were also built on the towpath side in order to protect the canal from high water.