List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 of 26402
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Chain Bridge Spillway #2
Structure Number:
003.86
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
1. 
Chain Bridge Spillway No. 2 (NR: #4-24)
2. 
"Chain Bridge Spillway #2 & Footbridge" (old LCS)
Park:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Park District:
CHOH Palisades District
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Historic District
Structure State:
District of Columbia
Structure County:
Washington
Region:
National Capital
Administrative Unit:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
LCS ID:
012682
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
08/09/1979
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
C&O Canal is a flat water canal, chartered in 1825. Construction began in 1828. Chain Bridge Spillway #2 contributes to the National Register under Criteria A & C for its architecture, engineering, commerce, transportation, conservation & military history, period of significance (1828–1924).
Long Significance Description:

The C&O Canal is a flat water canal, chartered in 1825. Construction began in 1828 and by 1850 the canal was opened to its terminus at Cumberland, Maryland. The canal ceased operations in 1924 due to flood damage and the buying out of the company by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In 1938, the B&O Railroad sold the canal property to the US government for $2 million dollars. The entire 184.5 miles of the canal was recognized as a National Historic Monument in 1961, and then in 1971 became known as the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Under the 1966 National Historic Preservation Act, the Canal was added to the National Register of Historic Places, having historical significance merits under architecture, engineering, commerce, transportation, military history and conservation. A confirmation National Register was approved by the Keeper for the CHOH on August 9, 1979.

The purpose of the C&O Canal was to bring freight and produce from Cumberland, Maryland, to Georgetown. The canal is an excellent example of 19th c. canal building technology. The magnitude of the engineering achievement is exemplified by the 184.5 mile length of the canal, which includes 74 lift locks rising 605 feet. 11 stone aqueducts were constructed to carry the canal prism over large Potomac River tributaries and 241 historic culverts were built to carry smaller streams and roads under the canal. 7 supporting dams were also constructed. Among the noteworthy engineered works on the canal is the Paw Paw Tunnel, which was drilled through 3, 117 feet of bedrock.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1830
CE
1830
CE

Engineer
2. 
Altered
1936
CE
1936
CE

Other
3. 
Reconstructed
1973
CE
1973
CE

Other
4. 
Altered
1980
CE
1980
CE

Other
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Water-Related
Primary Current Use:
Water-Related
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
1. 
Pedestrian-Related
Current
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Bridge
Volume:
1 - 2,000 cubic feet
Square Feet:
4248
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Concrete
2. 
Substructure
Stone
3. 
Superstructure
Stone
4. 
Superstructure
Wood
Short Physical Description:
See Long Physical Description.
Long Physical Description:
The Chain Bridge Spillway was 354' in length, the longest on the canal. Built circa 1830, the towpath bank here was depressed 2 feet to the water level of the canal prism. This allowed excess water to drain over the towpath and into the river. A narrow wooden bridge allowed the the mule tender to walk across dry shod across the spillway. The spillway was originally constructed of stone, but was given a 1936 concrete overlay in 1936 to repair flood damage and then reconstructed in 1973. A non-historic bridge now carries pedestrian visitors over the spillway. Underneath this bridge remains of the original stone can be seen.