List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 of 26381
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Motor Roads - Duck Brook Bridge (Paradise Hill Rd)
Structure Number:
BR01P
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
1. 
Paradise Hill Bridge
Park:
Acadia National Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maine
Structure County:
Hancock
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
New England
Administrative Unit:
Acadia National Park
LCS ID:
041107
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Determined Eligible - SHPO
National Register Date:
07/01/1996
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
Part of Motor Road System that is nationally significant under Criterion A for conservation, recreation and transportation, Criterion B for association with John D. Rockefeller, Jr., and Criterion C for architecture & engineering.
Long Significance Description:
Although part of the Historic Motor Road System of Acadia National Park, the "Duck Brook Bridge (Paradise Hill Road)" was listed as contributing on the 07/01/1996 concurence from the ME SHPO.

The ACAD Motor Road System is significant under Criterion A for illustrating the NPS system-wide goal of providing public access to national parks while conserving natural beauty, Criterion B as an example of John D. Rockefeller, Jr.’s interest in the construction and beautification of roads in the national parks and his collaboration with the NPS, and Criterion C as including excellent examples of the NPS Rustic Design style. The period of significance for the road system begins in 1922 when Superintendent George B. Dorr submitted a plan to the NPS for the park’s first motor road, and ends in 1958 when the final segment of the system was completed.

Construction of the ACAD Motor Road System was conceived to allow the construction of roads for automobiles in the park while preserving its natural beauty. The system began in 1922 when Superintendent Dorr submitted a plan to NPS Director Stephen Mather for a motor road that ran from Eagle Lake Road and along Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond. Rockefeller contributed much of the vistion, resources, and supervision necessary to accomplish the construction of the Motor Road System, his interest stemming from preventing automobile use of the carriage roads that he was constructing on the island. In 1927 the park developed a Master Plan in which all projects that would be characterized by the emerging NPS Rustic Design style, which created a rugged and frontier-like quality appropriate to a wilderness setting while allowing features to be customized with local materials to fit the setting.

There are nineteen bridges and two causeways in the park associated with the Motor Road system: twelve bridges carry roads over water elements, two carry roads over local roads, one carries the road over a carriage road, and four carry carriage roads or highways over motor roads. The Olmsted landscape architectural firm designed the six small bridges along Stanley Brook Road and provided the preliminary design for the Otter Creek Cove bride and Causeway, while the NPS and BPR designed most of the others. Except for the Otter Creek Cove Bridge, all of the motor road bridges were constructed with reinforced concrete and, following the NPS Rustic Design style, faced with locally quarried granite ashlar to blend with the surroundings and complement the character of the older carriage road bridges.

Duck Brook Bridge spans Duck Brook on Paradise Hill Road northwest of Bar Harbor and 1 mile southeast of Hulls Cove Visitor Center. The bridge was the last of the major bridges constructed in the park. It is also the largest by far of Acadia NP bridges and the largest continuous concrete arch deck bridge in the eastern U.S. The bridge was one of three bridges on the Paradise Hill Road section of the Park Loop Road network, which was designed to enhance the existing carriage road system. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. donated the land on which the road and bridges were built to the NPS and was involved in the bridge's construction details. The road was completed in 1940, but iInsufficient resources due to WWII prevented the bridge from being built until the early 1950s.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year AD/BC
End Year
End Year AD/BC
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1950
AD
1953
AD


 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Road Bridge
Primary Current Use:
Road Bridge
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Bridge
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Granite
2. 
Substructure
Concrete
3. 
Substructure
Steel
4. 
Superstructure
Asphalt
5. 
Substructure
Granite
Short Physical Description:
Triple-arch bridge (402' long) constructed of reinforced concrete (exposed on the underside of the arches) and clad at the spandrels and parapets with quarry-faced, random-coursed ashlar granite. The center arch (95' span) and side arches (85' span each) are outlined with radiating voussoirs.