List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  3000 3001 3002 3003 3004 3005 3006 of 26377
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
Camp Round Meadow Stone Wall
Structure Number:
RM Wall 1
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Catoctin Mountain Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
No records.
Structure State:
Maryland
Structure County:
Frederick
Region:
National Capital
Administrative Unit:
Catoctin Mountain Park
LCS ID:
1042593
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
08/07/2014
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
CATO originated as a Recreation Demonstration Project (RDA) in 1936 and became a unit of the NPS in 1954. In addition to its primary areas of significance, CATO encompasses a variety of resources that convey both local and statewide significance under Criteria A & D from c 3000 BC until the 1930s
Long Significance Description:
Catoctin Mountain Park (CATO) Historic District is a complex layered landscape that encompasses approximately 5,872 acres. The park contains a variety of geological, archeological, architectural, and landscape features and characteristics that together illustrate historical and ecological trends from prehistory through the present. The land and its resources are primarily significant at the national and state levels as one of forty-six Recreational Demonstration Areas (RDAs) developed across the nation as part of Depression-era federal recovery programs initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Known together as Roosevelt’s New Deal, federal recovery programs of the 1930s and early 1940s, including the RDA program, are important in the nation’s social and economic history. As one of the largest WPA-era projects in the state and the only RDA developed in the state of Maryland, Catoctin is a good example of New Deal park planning efforts that reflect the social and economic goals of the recovery programs of the 1930s (Criterion A).

In addition to its important historical associations, Catoctin Mountain Park retains one of the best collections of New Deal-era park architecture and landscape architecture in Maryland, and it embodies most of the primary characteristics associated with New Deal-era park planning, landscape architecture, and architecture, as practiced by the National Park Service (Criterion C). Catoctin’s collection of New Deal-era, National Park Service Rustic-style architecture retains statewide significance in the areas of architecture and landscape architecture. Two of the three original cabin camps, Camp Greentop and Camp Misty Mount, were previously listed as separate
National Register historic districts for their architecture and historical connections to WPA-era social welfare programs (NRHP listing 1989).

The park also derives national significance from the presence within its boundary of Camp David (formerly Shangri-La), the primary rural retreat of all U.S. presidents since 1942. As the location of numerous important political and diplomatic meetings of national and international significance (Criterion A), and for its close associations with the productive lives and accomplishments of at least two U.S. presidents (Criterion B), Camp David is significant at the national level for its importance in political and diplomatic history.

In addition to its primary areas of significance, Catoctin Mountain Park encompasses a variety of resources that convey both local and statewide significance under Criteria A and D. The collection of archeological sites, building ruins, farmstead sites, and landscape features tells the story of human use and occupation in the Catoctin Mountains of Maryland from circa 3000 BC until the 1930s. The sites and features reveal important connections to the industrial, domestic, and agricultural uses of the land from the Late Archaic period (circa 3000 BC) through the early twentieth century.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
No records.
 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
OTHER - NO OTHER CATEGORY EXISTS
Primary Current Use:
OTHER - NO OTHER CATEGORY EXISTS
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Other
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
No records.
Short Physical Description:
Rustic 19th C 1939. Remains of CCC-reconstructed stone wall outside Building 1 at Round Meadow
Long Physical Description:
The rustic design principles and practices espoused by the NPS in the 1920s and 30s and codified by the mid-1930s provided the construction vocabulary for the Catoctin RDA. The ideas of harmony between building and setting, use of natural materials, indigenous construction techniques, and local design characteristics were elements of this style. The most complete expression of these design elements still present in the park are found in two cabin camps,
Camps Misty Mount and Camp Greentop, listed in the NRHP in 1989. These camps contain the main concentrations of New Deal buildings in the park. Other New Deal influences found throughout the park include the alignment of Park Central Road; trails using NPS design principals such as the rustic CCC-built stone culverts and trail edging; and some of the features at the visitors center such as the stone walls flanking Park Central Road.

The park has experienced material losses from the WPA and CCC era of development. Two picnic grounds, built by the WPA for the RDA, became part of Cunningham Falls State Park. One picnic area lies beneath the man-made Hunting Creek Lake and the other was severely impacted by the widening of Route 15, both state projects. During the Job Corps period (1965- 1969) and later renovations, major alterations were made to the original set of work and administration buildings constructed by WPA labor at what is today known as Camp Round Meadow. The blacksmith shop (Building 4), camp office building (Building 1), and a gas house retain most of their original rustic WPA design, while several other buildings retain recognizable forms and features of their rustic design. The latter include the former WPA garages (Buildings 3 and 83) and the former infirmary building (Building 12).