List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 of 1162
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
69th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument
Structure Number:
MN228-J
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Gettysburg National Military Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Gettysburg National Battlefield
Structure State:
Pennsylvania
Structure County:
Adams
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
Chesapeake
Administrative Unit:
Gettysburg National Military Park
LCS ID:
009713
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
01/23/2004
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
Contributing feature to Gettysburg National Military Park HD which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938.
Long Significance Description:
69th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004.

Gettysburg National Military Park has recognized dual significance under National Register Criteria A and B because for many Americans, much of the meaning of the Civil War is represented in the small town of Gettysburg and is defined by Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address delivered here on November 19, 1863. Gettysburg National Military Park has national significance under National Register Criterion C as an important example of designed, commemorative battlefield park. There are still research questions related to the battle that can be answered through analysis of the archeological data, which has not yet been systematically gathered; therefore, this district also meets National Register Criteria D.

Gettysburg National Military Park is the site of the American Civil War Battle of Gettysburg, the Soldiers’ National Cemetery and the commemoration of the great battle by civil War veterans. Significant sites on the battlefield began to be preserved almost immediately after the 1863 battle, and the park came under federal ownership in 1895. Administered by the National Park Service (NPS) since 1933, the park now incorporates 5,989 acres of land across which the battle, its aftermath and commemoration occurred.

Civilians and military participants shared their own unique vision of preserving those battlegrounds outside of the cemetery as a means to commemorate the battle and to testify to the survival and supremacy of the Union. In 1864, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania granted a charter to the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association to undertake those purposes. In 1893, the United States Congress initiated measures that would expand the scope of preservation activities to include Confederate positions. These early efforts eventually led to the establishment of a national military park at Gettysburg in 1895. The original administrators of these national military parks regarded Gettysburg as the most significant of the battlefields commemorating the Civil War in the Eastern Theater of operations. In 1896, the United States Supreme Court agreed that Government preservation and protection of the memorial tradition promoted by the veterans, endorsed and generously funded by a grateful people, and formalized by a lasting national park, ultimately elevated Gettysburg’s battle to the position of the defining and quintessential Civil War event. Veterans of the battle oversaw the memorial process and the development of the park until 1927 when the last of these men died. The commemorative aspect of the national park was best reflected in its designed landscape elements, including monumentation and formal drives and avenues. This designed aspect of the battlefield Park meets National Register Criterion C. Subsequent non-Civil War-veteran administrators did not share the memorial fervor embraced by those who participated in and survived the war. Therefore, the significant dates for Gettysburg fall between 1863 and 1938.



1 of 110 Monuments to Pennsylvania. Indicates position of 69th PA Infty Jul 3, 1863. Row of granite posts connected by chain designates co's. A-K place line. Located S side Webb Av. W of Copse of Trees.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1887
CE




2. 
Altered
1889
CE




3. 
Restored
1985
CE


NPS
Other
4. 
Preserved
1993
CE


NPS
Other
5. 
Preserved
1996
CE
1996
CE
NPS-Waxing

6. 
Preserved
2000
CE
2000
CE
NPS-Powerwashing

7. 
Restored
2001
CE
2001
CE
NPS-Mound rebuilt

8. 
Restored
2003
CE
2003
CE
NPS-Waxing, Bronze seal replaced

 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Monument (Marker, Plaque)
Primary Current Use:
Monument (Marker, Plaque)
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Outdoor Sculpture
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Substructure
Granite
2. 
Superstructure
Granite
Short Physical Description:
Mn & 10 Co. Markers. Mn: 5'6"sq, rough-cut base w/incised inscrip. 3 part finished & polished granite shaft w/ 3rd part obelisk. Bronze tablet missing. 10 co. markers 1'sq x 2'-3'H. Chains between co. mkrs re-installed. ERO noted @ Co. K mkr.
Long Physical Description:
Monument that has ten company markers. Monument is a three-part finished and polished granite shaft with a third part obelisk and set on a 5.6 foot rough cut base with incised inscription. Ten granite company markers are one foot square, connected by a chain. Located on the south side of the former Webb Avenue west of the Copse of Trees.