List of Classified Structures
List of Classified Structures
Return to Results Page 
Advanced Search
Record: 1  230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 of 1162
Identification:

Preferred Structure Name:
90th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument
Structure Number:
MN007-B
Other Structure Name(s):
 
Other Structure Name(s)
No records.
Park:
Gettysburg National Military Park
Historic District:
 
Historic District
1. 
Gettysburg National Battlefield
Structure State:
Pennsylvania
Structure County:
Adams
Region:
Northeast
Cluster:
Chesapeake
Administrative Unit:
Gettysburg National Military Park
LCS ID:
009726
 
Historical Significance:

National Register Status:
Entered - Documented
National Register Date:
01/23/2004
National Historic Landmark?:
No
Significance Level:
Contributing
Short Significance Description:
Contributing feature to Gettysburg National Military Park HD which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938.
Long Significance Description:
90th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004.

Gettysburg National Military Park has recognized dual significance under National Register Criteria A and B because for many Americans, much of the meaning of the Civil War is represented in the small town of Gettysburg and is defined by Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address delivered here on November 19, 1863. Gettysburg National Military Park has national significance under National Register Criterion C as an important example of designed, commemorative battlefield park. There are still research questions related to the battle that can be answered through analysis of the archeological data, which has not yet been systematically gathered; therefore, this district also meets National Register Criteria D.

Gettysburg National Military Park is the site of the American Civil War Battle of Gettysburg, the Soldiers’ National Cemetery and the commemoration of the great battle by civil War veterans. Significant sites on the battlefield began to be preserved almost immediately after the 1863 battle, and the park came under federal ownership in 1895. Administered by the National Park Service (NPS) since 1933, the park now incorporates 5,989 acres of land across which the battle, its aftermath and commemoration occurred.

Civilians and military participants shared their own unique vision of preserving those battlegrounds outside of the cemetery as a means to commemorate the battle and to testify to the survival and supremacy of the Union. In 1864, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania granted a charter to the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association to undertake those purposes. In 1893, the United States Congress initiated measures that would expand the scope of preservation activities to include Confederate positions. These early efforts eventually led to the establishment of a national military park at Gettysburg in 1895. The original administrators of these national military parks regarded Gettysburg as the most significant of the battlefields commemorating the Civil War in the Eastern Theater of operations. In 1896, the United States Supreme Court agreed that Government preservation and protection of the memorial tradition promoted by the veterans, endorsed and generously funded by a grateful people, and formalized by a lasting national park, ultimately elevated Gettysburg’s battle to the position of the defining and quintessential Civil War event. Veterans of the battle oversaw the memorial process and the development of the park until 1927 when the last of these men died. The commemorative aspect of the national park was best reflected in its designed landscape elements, including monumentation and formal drives and avenues. This designed aspect of the battlefield Park meets National Register Criterion C. Subsequent non-Civil War-veteran administrators did not share the memorial fervor embraced by those who participated in and survived the war. Therefore, the significant dates for Gettysburg fall between 1863 and 1938.

Marks position of 90 Pennsylvania Infantry on afternoon of July 1, 1863 when attacked by Rodes' Div. Represents "shattered oak tree". 1 of 110 mns in Park honoring PA troops in Gettysburg Campaign. Located on Oak Hill, E side of Doubleday Ave.
 
Construction Period:

Construction Period:
Historic
Chronology:
 
Physical Event
Begin Year
Begin Year CE/BCE
End Year
End Year CE/BCE
Designer
Designer Occupation
1. 
Built
1888
CE




2. 
Preserved
1996
CE
1996
CE
NPS - Waxed

3. 
Preserved
2000
CE
2000
CE
NPS - Power Washed

4. 
Restored
2002
CE
2002
CE
NPS - Restored Bronze Rifle

5. 
Preserved
2003
CE
2003
CE
NPS - Waxed

6. 
Preserved
2008
CE
2008
CE
NPS - Waxed

 
Function and Use:

Primary Historic Function:
Monument (Marker, Plaque)
Primary Current Use:
Monument (Marker, Plaque)
Structure Contains Museum Collections?:
No
Other Functions or Uses:
 
Other Function(s) or Use(s)
Historic or Current
No records.
 
Physical Description:

Structure Type:
Outdoor Sculpture
Material(s):
 
Structural Component(s)
Material(s)
1. 
Superstructure
Granite
2. 
Substructure
Granite
3. 
Superstructure
Bronze
Short Physical Description:
Mn & 2 flank markers. Carved branchless tree trunk, 13'3" high, 8' cir. Adorned w/ bronze rifle, haversack, bayonet, canteen, birds,ivy & inscription shield. Flank markers, 1'7" high, 3'9" cir. in form of tree stumps w/ inscription carved into stump.
Long Physical Description:
A monument that has two flanking markers. It is a carved branchless granite tree trunk that is 13.3 foot high with an eight foot circumference. It is adorned with bronze rifle, haversack, bayonet, canteen, birds, ivy, and an inscription shield. The flanking markers are 1.7 foot high and 3.9 foot in circumference in the form of tree stumps. It is located on Oak Hill on the east side of Doubleday Avenue.